The priority for all families at the moment is that they are safe, happy and well. The most important thing for children to be doing right now is spending quality time with parents/carers, brothers and sisters. We strongly recommend parents set clear routines with a wake-up time, meal times, home learning time and family time. We have heard of some amazing examples from families baking, doing puzzles, playing games, learning songs, playing in the garden, creating models and reading for fun. This is what is important; this is what we want.
On this page we have organised various home learning activities. Below you can find activities suitable for all age groups, but on the right hand side you can find activities specific to each year group. The year group home learning guidance includes some really important things we want all children to be doing regularly. We also suggest a range of other activities that are designed to be fun – these are optional. Your child’s class teacher will be contacting you regularly to support you with this.
- Each year group has a Home Learning Guide - please find it attached at the end of this page.
- There is Children's University Home Challenges attached for everyone to use.
- We have created a Family Home Learning Challenge - see attached at the end of this page.
- If your child is worried about coronavirus, the NSPCC have created some useful guidance to help you talk to them: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/childrens-mental-health/depression-anxiety-mental-health
- Natwest Money Sense games
- Advice for anxious children: https://youngminds.org.uk/media/3695/how-to-support-your-child_corona.pdf
- Change for Life Activities: https://www.nhs.uk/change4life/activities
- Joe Wicks Body Coach PE lessons for kids - Go to The Body Coach TV on YouTube and simply join in the 30-minute workout session from 9am Monday to Friday.
- Daily Phonics Lessons - Ruth Miskin Training - more information in the poster at the bottom of this page
- Playlist of songs for the children - Kensington choir by Maisy Matumaini
- White Rose Maths lessons for every year group - White Rose Maths
- "Thoughts of Mr Seagull": short motivational videos specifically to help school children through these difficult times. Posted daily @Bobby_Seagull on Twitter, Instagram & Tik Tok. Parents and adults can of course watch too! - https://twitter.com/Bobby_Seagull/status/1245269096603758592
- Maths Puzzles on YouTube: New maths YouTube channel "Maths Appeal" created with a teacher friend Susan Okereke (aimed at keen primary and early secondary). Videos of puzzles/solutions posted every Tuesday and Thursday. Students can follow @MathsAppeal on Twitter and Instagram. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtB5x0uDQE
- Live Maths Lessons: FREE live maths lessons on "Explore Learning" Facebook page starting this Monday 6th April at 10am. Mondays will be Key Stage 1, Wednesdays Key Stage 2 and Fridays Key Stage 3 - https://t.co/vAhXI2822i?amp=1
- Oxford Owl has made their e-books free to access while schools are closed. There are books for different ages and there are as well some of the RWI Phonics books we use in school available - FREE eBook Library Happy reading!
- Support for Children: explaining COVID-19 in different languages - https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
- MY HERO IS YOU – A STORY FOR COVID-19: This is a social story to support children during the Covid-19 outbreak translated into different languages - https://interagencystandingcommittee.org/iasc-reference-group-mental-health-and-psychosocial-support-emergency-settings/my-hero-you
- EAL websites: http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/; http://www.eslgamesworld.com/
- Welness Stories - it's a Power Point Slide Show. Click on the images in the slide show to hear the stories
Parent Gym has two free on-line modules that you can download (more info on our Parent Gym page):
- The first module - Keep Talking, looks at ways to get our families communicating.
- The second module-Love and Harmony, gives tips for helping bring some Love and Harmony to family life in lock-down.
To download, click https://storefront.themindgym.com/store, pop the Parent Gym Keep Talking and Love and Harmony modules in your shopping basket and ‘purchase’ (it is completely free!!).
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Factsheet
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Services
- Money Management and Financial Hardship
- Top Tips for Managing Your Money
- Free resources to support families, as well as practical activities for adult and child wellbeing. Coronavirus toolkit #3 - https://mailchi.mp/annafreud/coronavirustoolkit3?e=2ff1d8c2d6
- A link to translated information from the NHS from Doctors of the World - https://www.doctorsoftheworld.org.uk/coronavirus-information/